Carded packaging includes any package that holds a product against a stiff paperboard backing. Packages in this style are most commonly attached to a thermoformed plastic blister, but can also be held together with a plastic film or a mechanical attachment.
Benefits of Carded Packaging
- Branding Ability – It’s about attracting consumer’s attention and keeping it. Through high-quality printing and the ability to add decorations, carded packaging is an effective way to promote your brand as well as provide your consumers with more information about your product.
- Cost Effective – Cheaper than an all plastic package, paperboard provides a reasonably priced packaging solution. Rohrer customers can save even more through our ezCombo™ program.
- Versatility – Whether it’s a blister, clamshell, bag, or pouch, a card is required to complete your package. However, a paperboard card isn’t just a necessary evil. The card will provide stability to the package, can be used to create a hang hole, and is a strategic way to promote your brand.
Types of Cards
- Single-Seal Blister Card – Available in a variety of seal types, a single-seal blister card is coated and heat-sealed to a thermoformed blister part. Is also available in tear-resistant material. Blister coating can be applied to the face or the back, depending on package requirements.
- Trapped Blister Card – The preferred blister package of club stores, this card type consists of one hinged or two separate, sealed blister cards, with a die cut to trap a blister flange between the two sides when sealed. Cards can be fluted to increase card sturdiness.
- Fold-Over Blister Card – A hinged blister card that can either be sealed to create a trapped blister or to create a book cover effect for the front of the package, allowing for maximum billboard space.
- Skin Board – A cost-effective alternative to clamshells and blister packaging, skin packaging is created by placing the product on a rigid paperboard backing, and covering it with a closely fitted transparent film.
- Insert Cards – Made to be inserted in a clamshell package, insert cards are printed cards that are non-heat sealable.
- Header Cards – a folded card that fits over the opening of a bag or pouch. Most commonly used in hang hook displays, card can be attached via staples or adhesives.
Printing and Decorating
- Process +™ – It’s about getting you the marketing “pop” that your product needs in a format that makes sense for your business and your budget. That’s the essence of what Process +™ is all about. This revolutionary technology enables us to reproduce your brand colors using a fixed ink set consisting of 7 colors (CMYK+OGV). The addition of orange, green and violet (OGV) inks expand the gamut and more accurately reproduces Pantone colors vs. traditional CMYK.
- rFoil™ – Transform your package from ordinary to extraordinary with the dazzling effects of our unique heat-sealable foil. rFoil™ is an in-line cold foil application that is affordable and heat-sealable. Achieve a broad range of high end effects that add dimension to your packaging with the ability to overprint halftones, solids, and process colors.
- rStructure™ – a textured coating applied in-line directly on top of the inks, that creates a dimensional, embossed look. Use rStructure™ to add a luxurious feel and a whole new level of dimension to your printed package.
- rTouch™ – The luxurious feel of this finish will enhance the look of your package and increase the perceived value of your brand. Rohrer’s rTouch™ is an in-line soft touch coating used to create a rich velvety texture. Not only do surfaces appear svelte and sophisticated, but the soft feel adds an upscale tactile element to your package.
- rMetallic™: Powered by Color-Logic – rMetallic™ allows you to develop impressive, consistent packaging with an incredible metallic finish. As many as 250 different metallic colors can be produced easily with the use of just five inks and without the expense on specialty materials or off-line processes. Rohrer is a licensed reseller of the Color-Logic Software.
The Rohrer ezCombo™ program provides industry-leading speed, quality, and value for our partners. Our ezCombo™ program provides cards and inserts in 15 days, improving your company’s speed-to-market, while providing the same quality as a dedicated run.
Why ezCombo™? Below are just some of the reasons why our customers choose our program:
- Lowest quantities in the industry, starting at 5,000.
- The industry’s first 7-color process combo for cards, with the ability to expand the color gamut and more accurately reproduce more of the Pantone Plus Series Color Guide
- Warehousing available to provide you your packaging when you need it.
Carded Packaging Development Process
Creating a blister card doesn’t have to be difficult. We’ve laid out the process here to give you a better idea on what to expect from ideation to the final result.
1. Project Kick-off
- Email, conference call, or in-person meeting to review:
- Existing Blister & Card
- Drawing or Electronic File
- Card Dimensions
- Special Features
- Hang-Hole Type
- Customer submits the product sample or prototype and purchase order
- The prototype is designed and tested of form, fit, and function
- Aluminum mold is created and tested
- Blister card die-line is completed and sent to customer to add artwork
- Blister card white samples are sent to client for approval
3. Pre-press/Tool Development
- Client submits approval of blister cards and releases purchase order for card production
- Client reviews and approves digital proofs (optional press approval for blister cards)
- Production of cards are 15-20 working days from P.O. and proof approval
4. Part Production & Fulfillment
- If part meet the parameters of the ezCombo™ program, the blister card part is added according to material type, package type, and quantity. For all other blister projects, the dedicated tooling is created and scheduled for production
- Blister cards produced and packed for shipment
- Blisters, cards, and heat-seal tooling are shipped to client
Best Industries for Carded Packaging
Being an important piece and blister and clamshell packages, carded packaging are found in almost every industry. Below are some of the industries that will find a use for blister, header, and insert cards.
- School & Office
- Health & Beauty
- Sporting Goods
- Crafts & Hobbies