It’s mid-August. Probably 100 degrees in the shade. Hopefully you haven’t gotten a sunburn with blisters this summer. Ouch! When you think of the word “blister” does your face cringe? Mine does, but primarily because I associate the word “blister” with pain rather than protection.
Did you know that the body forms a blister to protect the skin? Fluid fills in between layers of skin and provides a “cushion of protection” to prevent infection and help it heal.
In a similar way, blister packaging protects your product during shipping, transport and display at retailers. The product is nestled between a plastic cavity and a printed paperboard backing, also known as a blister card. Or you can create an All-Paper Blister made completely of paper. Either way, the product is cushioned within the package. Pretty cool, right?
Now that know what blister packaging is and how it protects your product, let’s dive into Blister Packaging 101.
How is Blister Packaging Created?
First, we need to talk about how blister packaging is made. At Rohrer, blister packaging can be created using three different manufacturing processes, each with unique features and benefits for your brand:
- ezCombo®: Our innovative manufacturing solution where several different printed or plastic (thermoformed) packaging pieces are run together in a combo-run, saving your brand valuable time and money in the process.
- Custom: Want a package designed specifically to fit your product, including all the “bells and whistles” your brand needs? Then custom blister packaging may be the ideal solution.
- Stock: Our Stock Packaging Program includes a series of tooling for generic plastic packaging in standardized sizes, and styles to choose from. There are limitations on packaging sizes/styles, but it’s an economical, versatile, and streamlined way to get your product on retail shelves.
Why Choose Blister Packaging?
More and more brands are utilizing blister packaging for their products. According to Markets and Markets, the blister packaging market is projected to top $34.1 billion by 2025, at a compound annual growth rate of 7.2%. That’s a lot of blister packages!
Why choose blister packaging? Let’s look at the benefits:
- It’s a Branding Boost: The see-through plastic blister allows your product to be clearly visible. And the paperboard blister card provides ample billboard space to tout product features/benefits for consumers.
- It’s Affordable: Want to get your product to retailers without breaking the bank? Then blister packaging may be the way to go.
- It’s Fast: Meet (or exceed) your retail deadline! Expedite your time to market with Rohrer’s quick and easy blister packaging options.
- It’s Secure: It’s apparent if someone has tried to open a blister package. That’s why it’s great for products that need to be in tamper-evident packaging.
What are the Types of Blister Packages?
Ready to start your blister packaging project? At Rohrer, you have several types of blister packages to choose from:
- Face Seal: This is the most common type of blister package. It includes a flanged thermoformed blister and a paperboard backing. The product is secured in the package by heat-sealing the flange of the plastic blister to the face of the blister card.
- Full Face Seal: With a full face seal, the plastic blister covers the entire front (or full face) of the package. This provides the package with added durability and reduces the risks of bent corners on the blister card.
- Mock Clamshell: Mock clamshells have the look of a full face seal blister, but also include a small flange around the perimeter of the package that notches together like a clamshell.
- Trapped Blister: Popular in the club store market, a trapped blister is when the plastic is sealed (or trapped) between two blister cards, opposed to being sealed directly to a coated card.
- ecoCombo® Blister: ecoCombo® is basically Rohrer’s ezCombo® program + sustainable packaging materials. It combines the speed, ease, and affordability of combination-run packaging with sustainable materials like post-consumer recycled thermoformed blisters and post-consumer waste paperboard blister cards and inserts.
- All-Paper Blister: This is Rohrer’s latest sustainable packaging option. It’s made completely of paper, including the blister! You can print on more of the package surface and choose from a variety of substrates, including paperboard that is Sustainable Forestry Initiative® certified. Depending on design parameters and materials, the All-Paper Blister can be run utilizing our ezCombo® or custom packaging programs.
At Rohrer, we believe that true partners make the perfect package. Let our award-winning team create an innovative blister package that boosts your brand.