Interested in the “411” on CCNB and SBS?
Acronyms aside, you came to the right place. If you’re looking for a “greener” alternative for your packaging, we may have the paperboard to pick.
The BTS on SBS
Here’s the “BTS” (“behind the scenes”) story on SBS (solid bleached sulfate). At Rohrer, we create millions of packages for thousands of brands each year. Our designers and engineers have printed on a variety of substrates.
SBS is the most popular paperboard choice for the majority of our packaging clients – and for good reasons:
- SBS is a premium bright white paperboard comprised of 100 percent virgin bleached wood pulp.
- The kaolin clay coating on SBS paperboard provides package strength/durability and a smooth surface for printing, proper ink absorption, and vibrant color quality.
- Prior to the pandemic, SBS paperboard was readily available in the marketplace.
However, like many consumer goods, SBS is experiencing the Pinch on Packaging due to issues affecting the supply of raw materials (e.g., wood pulp), labor shortages, transportation disruptions, and so forth.
Currently, SBS is not as readily available in the marketplace. And the price of SBS is on the rise as a result. So, what is a “greener,” more accessible alternative to SBS?
Looking for a Sustainable Alternative to SBS? Consider CCNB
Here’s the “411”as promised: clay-coated news back (CCNB) may be an ideal alternative to SBS for your packaging.
Not familiar with CCNB? It’s a sustainable duplex paperboard featuring a white kaolin clay coating on the front side for smooth printing and a natural brown or grey kraft material on the backside. You may have seen it in action as a cereal box or shoe box. It’s ideal for folding cartons and select printed cards.
Here’s why Rohrer is suggesting CCNB for your next packaging project:
- CCNB is a “greener” paperboard option. It contains a high amount of recycled content (up to 90 percent).
- You can step up sustainability efforts with CCNB. It’s 100 percent recyclable and eco-friendly.
- CCNB is a cost-effective paperboard option.
- The kaolin clay coating on CCNB paperboard provides package strength/durability and a smooth surface for printing, proper ink absorption, and vibrant color quality.
- CCNB is readily available in the marketplace.
Now You Have the “411” on CCNB
CCNB is a “greener” alternative paperboard to SBS. It’s comprised of recycled paper content, making it a more sustainable packaging option. And, it has been more readily available in the market, which means your product could be fast-tracked from production to retail stores.
At Rohrer, we believe that true partners make the perfect package. Let our award-winning team keep you “in the know” on the latest packaging solutions. Contact us today.